Mussel Hatchery Construction Project Manager
Partnership for the Delaware Estuary, Inc. (PDE) is hiring a Construction Project Manager to oversee the planning, permitting and building of a wet lab. PDE is a science-based non-profit organization that has developed the technology to propagate fresh water mussels in the laboratory and plans to re-populate the dwindling presence of fresh water mussels in the Susquehanna and Delaware River Watersheds. This $10 million-plus project is funded primarily by PENNVEST will be located on the outskirts of Philadelphia. This position is a two-year temporary, flexible-time exempt salaried position that pays $78,000 per year.
PDE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of religious affiliation, race, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or any other category that is, or becomes, protected.
The Construction Project Manager plans and oversees the design and construction of a Fresh Water Mussel Hatchery to be located on the outskirts of Philadelphia.
- Manages the design and construction of the building
- Proposes the contracting method (design/build, design/bid/build)
- Manages the contractor selection process (pre-qualifying contractors, preparing bid documents, completing bid evaluations and making contractor recommendations)
- Oversees the day-to-day management of the design and construction contractors
- Works with the selected design contractor to build a large scale mussel hatchery
- Reviews the design contractor’s work to ensure it meets functional requirements
- Oversees construction to ensure it meets the design requirements and is delivered on schedule and within budget
- Manages the budget and schedule
- Establishes the construction schedule, manages schedule changes throughout construction and ensures that the targeted in-service date is met
- Manages the budget to meet funding constraints
- Reviews and approves invoices and progress reports to the funder(s)
- Manages the change order process with contractors and funders
- Reports the status of the budget, cash flow and schedule to management
- Immediately notifies management of any construction changes that might cause the construction to exceed the funding amount or that might cause the construction completion to extend beyond the planned in-service date
- Manages the permitting process
- Researches the Federal, State and City permit requirements
- Is responsible for applying for the required permits
- Ensures that permit fees are paid on time
- Ensures that permit requirements are clearly defined
- Ensures that the responsible parties comply with the permit requirements
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in engineering or construction management disciplines
- 10 years of experience managing construction projects of similar size and complexity
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to plan and hold meetings among project partners, contractors and committees
- Proven construction project management skills, including time management, budget/schedule management, and reporting
- Leadership and supervisory skills including a demonstrated ability to manage contractors
- General computer skills, including good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and construction project management software
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; experience presenting to group
- Ability to speak, read and write English
- Valid United States driver’s license
Time spent in this position will be divided between PDEs offices in Wilmington, DE and the construction location along the Schuylkill River in the Philadelphia city limits. There may be occasional evening or weekend work hours.
The incumbent must be able to lift and carry light loads (up to 30 pounds) and be able to sit and stand for at least 3 hours, provide their own correctable vision and hearing equipment and have no physical restrictions that would prevent performance of the duties in this job description.
Reports to: Senior Science Director
Direct Reports: none
To apply, please send your resume with cover letter to Nancy Descano.Read More About this Job.